In May of 1859, Sulphur Springs Primitive Baptist Church was constituted having eight members in the Bartahatchie Community of Monroe County, Mississippi. A parcel of land was donated by Brother Micajah Walters, who also served as the first church clerk, for the purpose of erecting a simple edifice for meetings. As of this writing, the church still assembles on that gracious spot of land on Wolfe Road.
Records show that Sulphur Springs hosted in 1886 the Buttahatchie Association of Baptist Churches of which she was a member. However, due to a necessary division from the Buttahatchie Association because of the spread of the false doctrine of “the absolute predestination of all things”, we know that as early as 1912 Sulphur Springs had joined herself to the Original Tombigbee Association whose churches espoused sound doctrine. Sulphur Springs is still blessed to dwell with her sister churches of the Original Tombigbee Association in peace and harmony, rejoicing in their sweet fellowship and counsel.
As noted above, Sulphur Springs Primitive Baptist Church has been blessed to gather together upon the same land donated by Brother Walters so many years ago, yet in four different buildings. The first building was utilized from 1859 to 1912; the second building from 1912 to 1926. Our present fellowship hall, the white frame building behind the current meeting house, was the third building, used for meetings from 1927 to 1962. Our current brick meeting house was dedicated for use on April 8th, 1962.
Many sound, dedicated elders have pastored this flock through the years, including Elders John H. Odem (1859-1864), Elias Moss (1859-1864), S.C. Johnson (1864-1891), J.D. Huddleston (circa 1907), J.C. Huddleston (1913-1948), Grady McWhirter (1948-1987), Armon Ritch (by appointment, 1989-1991), Ken Mallard (1989-1991), R.W. “Bobby” Collins (1992-2001), and Herman Clark (2003-2011). The current pastor as of this writing, Elder Joe Nettles, accepted the pastorship in July 2013.
Sulphur Springs began in September, 2014, to meet every Wednesday evening in Starkville, Mississippi, to serve Primitive Baptists in that area as well as students at Mississippi State University.
Currently, Sulphur Springs Primitive Baptist Church has forty-six members holding to “the old paths, where is the good way”.
The document of this covenant is now accepted in the organization and constitution of Sulphur Springs Primitive Baptist Church this Saturday before the first Sunday in May, 1859:
- Having in a judgment of charity and discretion towards ourselves and one another first given ourselves to the Lord, we agree to give ourselves to one another, by the will of God in a visible congregational state.
- We mutually agree to endeavor to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bonds of peace (Ephesians 4:3)
- We agree to love one another in obedience to the command of Christ. (John 13:35)
- To sympathize with each other in prosperity and adversity. (Romans 12:15)
- To communicate with each other’s necessity as circumstances may point out. (Galatians 6:10 and Hebrews 13:16)
- To watch over one another and to hear each other’s infirmities and admonish one another in faithfulness and Christian tenderness. (Hebrews 12:15 and Romans 15:10)
- To confess our faults one to another and to pray for one another. (James 5:16)
- To assemble ourselves together regularly for religious worship. (Hebrews 10:25)
- To have no respect of persons in church affairs as an act of partiality on account of differences in external conditions. (Romans 12:16)
- To strive together for the faith of the gospel and to earnestly contend for it, not suffering any human inventions or unwarranted practice to be imposed on us. (Philemon v.12, Jude v.3)
- That we will endeavor to be ensamples to each other, in a holy walk and a Godly conversation in Christ. (II Peter 3:11)